eng-on fra-on ita-on
Homepage
Heineken Cup Home
European Challenge Cup
Fans Poll
Which European country will perform best in the 2007 Rugby World Cup?
England
Ireland
France
Wales
Scotland
Italy
Previous Poll Results

Which team will lift the Heineken Cup trophy in Twickenham this season?

Leicester Tigers (72%)
London Wasps (28%)

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dates

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pastyboy

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 6:31 pm    Post subject: Dates

Any news on date and venue for 2008 Final?
Reply with quote View user's profile Send private message
ERC Editor
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 9:41 am    Post subject:

Hi Pastyboy

The board of ERC have not yet decided the venue for next year's Heineken Cup final. It is expected that this will be decided and announced by the middle of June.

The date of the 2008 Heineken Cup final is yet to be confirmed.

As soon as there is a decision regarding the above a notice will be sent to all of the ercrugby.com ezine subscribers. You can sign up to the ezine at the following link: http://www.ercrugby.com/ezine .

Regards

ERC Editor
bonkers

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 11:30 am    Post subject:

So so far we know it will be the weekend of the 23 / 24 / 25 May...whichever day the FA Cup final is not on...and it won't be on Friday unless hell freezes over! known to happen!!

And for a venue the main runners seem to be Millennium Stadium or Stade de France. I'm thinking it would be nice to have it in France as a "thank you" for FINALLY calling off the boycott! Cardiff is probably cheaper but it's pretty easy for everyone to get to Paris...

I dont think Murrayfield is an option this year, Lansdowne Road is a building site, Twickenham Stadium - great but not two years in a row....

I wonder have they thought about the other stadium in Dublin!! Croke Park anyone? fat chance i reckon

Now the last option is Roma - but I dont think that is an option for the Heineken Cup yet.
Pastyboy

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 9:23 pm    Post subject:

Cardiff or Dublin would suit me fine !
fhan

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 9:14 pm    Post subject:

It should go to Italy if Rugby is to be expanded and developed in the smaller rugby nations, Look at the last final in twickers, English/Irish/French all at the same game with their team shirts. Would never happen in football so we have a great game lets share it.
jimmy

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 9:58 am    Post subject:

But where would you play it? Flaminio is only 24,000 so no chance. Would any of the diveball teams allow their pitch to be ploughed?
fhan

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 10:47 am    Post subject:

jimmy wrote:
But where would you play it? Flaminio is only 24,000 so no chance. Would any of the diveball teams allow their pitch to be ploughed?

Last year the rugby union began talks with Milan for use of their stadium for games durning the six nation's in the hope that italy would be able to premote the sport and as you have stated the Flaminio stadium is to small, so why not use a football ground, We here in Ireland broke the barrier when the GAA opened its headquaters for us durning the last six nations.I feel the ERC need to be seen to help the smaller rugby nations as best they can.
delboy

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 11:26 am    Post subject:

I agree that a final in Italy would be great but I really don't like the idea of using a football stadium. By doing this we are giving money to football and not to rugby. It is a difficult one as there is no rugby stadium in Italy big enough. In my understanding of Italian stadia, is that some are owned by the municipality which means a deal could be brokered with the local government / council where some of the money would go back into the game.
fhan

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 5:32 pm    Post subject:

It hard to accept but most of the large grounds are football ground, rugby just hasn't got the same backing or options that other sports can offer. When it comes to the H/C final it's the ERC who get the gate money and not the clubs {there is some prize money, but not much} So once again I would be in favor of going to another ground if it exposes the game to a lager audience, but mainly new supporters. I had the pleasure of meeting some new Italian rugby fans in twicker’s at this years final who had their kids with them, and what has brought them over to the rugby side is for them, that all fans from any country and any club can come together for a family day out with 0 trouble and lots of drink around, they loved it. Just wouldn’t happen in football. So once again if the ERC is looking at this lets go to Ital for the next Final
danit

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 10:28 am    Post subject:

well, HCup final in Italy?...

first, we have to say that in Italy there's no stadium owned by a club, not even the richest football clubs own their stadium (Juventus his building his own but it's not ready yet): every italian stadium is property of the local council or the municipality or of the Olympic Coommitee (Stadium Olimpico in Rome), so an evetual HCup final wouldn't give money to football but to a public insttution (that doesn't mean necessarely some of the money would go back to the game...)

there are 3 possible solutions: Florence (42000), Genoa (44000) or Milan (85000), the game imo can't be played in Rome Olimpic or Naple because these stadiums have athletics truck (awful for rugby)

these towns are nice (expecially Florence), very attracctive, easy to reach

but actually I see no chanche of playing a HCup final in Italy, not yet

true, the game is developing quite fast in Italy and becoming more popular, but it's regarding mainly the national team, not clubs competition

I see no chanche to fill not even half of Milan stadium and Florence or Genoa would be filled only if Munster get to the final...

the Super10 League final has been played a couple of weeks ago in Monza, in a 18000 seats stadium but the attendence was "only" 12000 (last year was 10000)

so, actually I support Marseille, the Velodrom has 60000 seaters, the town and Provence are wonderful (expecially in springtime), easy to reach and (what's more important... ) is just 3 hours by car from where I live...
Alatoruk

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 2:02 pm    Post subject: final venue

cant be england - 2 years in a row
cant be ireland - building site
cant be italy - no stadium big enough - mores the pity
cant be france - how can you have "Heineken" when they have alcohol advertising ban

so that leaves wales - 2 years ago and scotland 3 years ago.

im getting married on the 23rd so its hard enough trying to convince the future mrs alatoruk that starting the honeymoon with a rugby match would be romantic, especially if it is in scotland.

personally i dont rate cardiff, the turf is rubbish and their treatment of disabled spectators is rubbish (aparently only wheelchair uses are considered disabled). so looks like i will miss 2008
fhan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 3:08 pm    Post subject:

My God Man
Start the marriage of right, delay the wedding for a week and go to the game, If she really love you she will understand, and she will know what to expect when it come’s to rugby.

P.S best of luck you'll need it, they all turn into
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ERC Forum Index -> Heineken Cup All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: